In 2020, there will be a new version (or more) of Africa Twin on the roads. We will update this page regularly with the latest announcements / rumors about this bike that already arouses some impatience...
News feed for Africa Twin 2020
Update 23/09/19 : Official Honda announcement (press presentation)
Here we are ! Honda France just released the press presentation for the new Africa Twin CRF 1100 L 2020 !
First, the rumor that announced a "Super" AfricaTwin was unfounded. There will be 2 models (like the previous model), the standard and the Adventure Sports.
These two models will have as common characteristics
New Honda Africa Twin 2020 - Standard and Adventure Sports series
- Engine displacement to 1084cc, power 75kW and torque 105Nm
- 6-axis inertial control unit that controls traction control, anticlocking, active ABS cornering with TT adjustment possible
- 6.5 inch TFT Screen
- Emergency braking reporting system
- Off-road mode for the DCT gearbox and engine mapping
- 2 modes "USER" (instead of 1 on the old Africa Twin CRF1000L)
- Speed regulator
- Apple Carplay and Bluetooth connectivity
- USB socket as standard
Features specific to the standard Africa Twin
- Weight loss of 4 KG
- Small windshield (no adjustement)
Features specific to the Adventure Sports
- Weight loss of 5 KG
- More protective fairing and adjustable touring windshield
- Tubeless rims
- Seat height lowered by 50mm
- Fuel tank of 24,8L
- Electronically adjustable suspensions Showa EERA available as an option
Prices and availabilities for the Africa Twin 2020 at release day :
- Africa Twin Std mechanical gearbox = 14499€ / November 2019
- Africa Twin Std DCT gearbox = 15499€ / November 2019
- Africa Twin Adventure Sports mechanical gearbox = 16499€ / November 2019
- Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT gearbox = 17499€ / November 2019
- Africa Twin Adventure Sports mechanical gearbox with Showa EERA suspensions = 17999€ / October 2019
- Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT gearbox with Showa EERA suspensions = 17999€ / October 2019
Note that the colors Red Rally for standard and Tricolore for Adventure Sports are charged 300€ more.
Galerie officielle Honda
Update 13/09/19 : first pictures, engine specs and tubeless rims
Journalists from www.motorcycle.com have managed to get photos of the long-awaited new CRF1100L 2020 and some technical information via Australian certification documents.
The displacement therefore goes to 1084cc and power to 101hp. It will not be a radical change but it will provide additional engine comfort.
You will also notice that one of the two bikes has tubeless rims.
Update 28/08/19 : electronically controlled suspensions
It seems that the "Super" Africa Twin 2020 should provide electronically controlled suspensions. More electronic for more fun ? Anyway, standard and adventure sports should keep their conventional suspensions.
Update 08/08/19 : precision about the release date
According to our sources, it seems that the new Africa Twin is planned around October 2019. Is this only the public presentation of the bike or the official release, we do not know for now. We will obviously try to keep you informed as soon as we know more.
Preview haracteristics of Africa Twin 2020 (rumors - assumed)
The technical data of this "Super" Africa Twin 2020 that all the press was eager to share all seem to come from the same source (which has often been wrong in the past) namely the Japanese magazine Young Machine. It would be good to be cautious about the following rumors...
- Increased the engine capacity to 1100cc to exceed the power of 100hp
- Increased tank capacity beyond 20L
- New 7-gears DCT gearbox
- New color TFT dashboard
- Keyless system
The information that we could get from Honda France seem to confirm that there is something in the pipes that would complete the Africa Twin's range, a Super Africa Twin therefore, in addition to the other two (Standard and Adventure Sports). It will certainly wait until EICMA 2020 in Milan for a confirmation or another leak by then to be sure of it! We will enrich this article as we go along.